India is not just a large price of land, it’s a land of large culture.Different customs and different languages make our great nation a country which follows unity in diversity.There are 23 official languages in India.They are Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Marathi, Manipuri, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.23 official languages in number.Celebrating this diverse culture, let’s see some of the interesting facts about our Indian languages.
* Hindi is the second most spoken language in the world.Interestingly, there are more number of Hindi speakers than English.
Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world.
* Talking about regional languages, Bengali is 7th most spoken language in the world, Punjab is 10th, Telugu 15th, Marathi 17th and Tamil 18th.
* Contrary to belief, Hindi is not a national language of India.Our country has no national language.But Hindi and English are official languages.
* NASA rated Sanskrit as most computer friendly language.
In Mattur village of Karnataka, people speak Sanskrit with each other.
* The former president of USA, George W Bush allocated $114M in the budget for making Americans learn Hindi.
* Urdu is technically an Indian language which has taken birth near Ganga Yamuna basin.Interestingly, it’s the national language of Pakistan but none of it’s provinces has Urdu as it’s native language.* 75% of Indian population speaks Aryan languages and 20% of population speaks Dravidian languages.Telugu is a Dravidian language.
* Not just is in Southern India, a Dravidian language called Bruhui is spoken in parts of Pakistan.But, it is unheard in Southern India.
* Uttarakhand’s official language is Sanskrit.